- This event has passed.
Food As Medicine Workshop
The Backyard Gardeners Network is hosting their Food As Medicine workshop series on Thursdays from September 7 to November 9. The Food As Medicine workshops include 10 weekly nutrition and cooking classes held at the Guerrilla Garden in the Lower 9th Ward. All classes are taught by health professionals, nutritionists, and cooks who specialize in preparing delicious and healthy food.
Participants will learn about food as a primary source of healing while cooking on-site at the garden. The workshop begins and ends with free health screenings from Baptist Community Health Clinic, includes a film screening, a field trip, and concludes with a “Chopped” style cooking contest!
- September 7 – Introduction to Food As Medicine. Required: initial health screening by Baptist Community Health Clinic
- September 14 – Mindful Eating
- September 21 – Plant-based Diets
- September 28 – Field Trip: Sangoma House, Alternative and Holistic Health Services
- October 5 – Heart Healthy Thinking and Doing
- October 12 – Heart Disease and the Myths
- October 19 – Spices, Spices, and More Spices
- October 26 – Film Screening TBA. Required: final health screening by Baptist Community Health Clinic
- November 2 – “Chopped” Style Cooking Contest
- November 9 – Wrap Up Session
Exact times TBD
Registration is required. Sign up today!
Contact Courtney Clark at 504-875-2948 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit http://backyardgardenersnetwork.org