Established in 2006, one year after the Federal Flood that followed Hurricane Katrina, the Lower 9th Ward Homeownership Association (L9WHA) serves as a resident-run, not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing outreach, advocacy and case management expertise to residents of New Orleans’ historic Lower 9th Ward community. The mission of the L9WHA is to locate and bring home all displaced Lower 9th Ward Homeowners who want to return and to improve the quality of life of all residents of the Lower 9th Ward through affordable homeownership, community, and economic development.
Their program helps families navigate the process to return and rebuild their home. They provide case management expertise to pre-Katrina Lower 9th Ward residents who want to return and rebuild their homes. Their process takes the following steps:
• Intake: Schedule an interview with the office, they can determine if they can help you.
• Request and Review your File: They will submit a release form signed by you and review your Road Home file.
• Documents: If additional documents are required, they will contact you.
• Submit your case to the Road Home: If after reviewing your file, they believe you are due money from the the Road Home, they will submit your case.
• Rebuilding: If they are successful in finding you more rebuilding money, they will help you find a contractor or connect you to a rebuilding nonprofit.
See if you qualify:
If you or someone in your family is a pre-Katrina resident of the Lower 9th Ward still trying to return home and rebuild, they may be able to help you secure additional rebuildng funds from the Road Home Program. Please contact their office if:
• You received a repayment letter from the Road Home; and
• You are not back in your home due to issues such as contractor fraud, forced mortgage payoff, theft or subsequent damages; and/or
• Road Home made a mistake in your case.
The best way to determine if you qualify for additional funding is to contact their office.
Lower 9th Ward Homeownership Associaton
5234 N. Claiborne Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70117
Click here to like Lower 9th Ward Homeownership Association on Facebook.